Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Tech Tip Tuesday - My Favorite iOS 12 features

Did Georgia lay down and wrap itself in the equator? I think so. I am still sleeping like a babe though. Because I am somewhat the man in my relationship with my husband. My children don’t even bother coming to my side of the bed anymore. I would giggle a little about how many times he’s been up in the middle of the night with them but he would somehow hear that and then I would suffer his wrath (which isn’t that bad because he smiles more than anyone I know.) I digress. HE, however, doesn’t always sleep like the baby I think I am. Compound this #soextra nighttime scenario with my phone dinging ALL NIGHT, driving him crazy. Who are these people that can operate during the day without sleeping a FULL 10? (If it is not at least a full 10 for me, I am a full HOT FRESH stinkin' mess that nary a cup of coffee, pumpkin-spice-or-no, can fix.) So now that Apple has released iOS 12 I have been reminded of a feature that is even better with this latest release….Bedtime Do Not Disturb Mode! My husband should sleep so much better now! So, my blue bubble friends, let’s take a look at that and dice up a few of my favorite new features of iOS 12, shall we? P.S., Brandy Nichols buy a new phone already!

DO NOT DISTURB
Although this is already a feature of iOS, you can now customize it a little more. When you go into your DO NOT DISTURB setting on your iphone you will now see Bedtime Mode. Swipe right on that sucker, then again on Scheduled and Bedtime, set your time, and voila, you are notification free with a dim screen for the time period you set!

ADD STICKERS TO PHOTOS IN IMESSAGE
I know you are all dying to learn how to better your selfie game, right? #eyeroll BUT for some, you might enjoy the new feature in the camera in iMessage. You can send a pic in a message with a sticker on it. See my elation below:

And he moves. My children will love this…. Anyway, just tap the camera icon in an iMessage text, tap the star at the bottom left, then tap the filter, text, or sticker button of your choice. Play around with it for fun!

SCREEN TIME--WHAT???
Apparently we, as a society, need to be more device-aware. I know that comes as a shock to most of you, however, Apple felt this so urgently that it created a Screen Time feature that allows one to monitor their phone usage. But guess what gives me #allthefeels about this feature? It will give you data on ALL PHONES ON YOUR ICLOUD! Just DANG Gina! Parents everywhere rejoice! I have a tween who oh-so-covets more time on her iphone (that is my old 6 with a shattered screen and no cell service), and a 5 year old that JUST WANTS TO WATCH YOUTUBE VIDEOS ALL DAY LONG. And p.s. the videos are a little awkward. You can set time limits on the amount of time they spend on their device AND you can set down time so that they can’t, I dunno, sneak their phone while you’re passed out asleep and hit up all the social media. It’s so wonderful and robust that it’s too long to include at this juncture. SO, here is a link to some really awesome tutorials with pictures! You’re welcome!

SAVE YOUR PASSWORDS
Not a lot of explanation needed here. There is a new feature that will scour your history to glean usernames and passwords from certain sites you’ve frequented. Remember, this is just happening on your phone/icloud account. It IS NOT floating around out there. Anyway, if you turn on auto-fill it will do just that when you visit those sites. Checkmate for convenience.

I hope you enjoy playing around with these new features. And if you haven’t downloaded iOS 12 yet, hop to it!

Information gleaned from this Digital Trends article.

No comments:

Post a Comment